Benefits of Music StudyMusic Teacher's National Association (MTNA) has this to say about the benefits of music study:
How is Music Beneficial for All Learners?
Today there are unprecedented reasons for making music a part of everyone’s life.
Students taking music lessons now will determine the place of music in America and the value society places on music tomorrow. Regardless of what these students ultimately choose as a profession, music making will remain a part of their lives, whether it’s listening to music, attending concerts or serving as leaders in arts associations, and community and church music programs.
Benefits of Music Study:
- Hearing music stimulates the mind.
- Music instruction enhances abstract reasoning skills.
- Grade school students who took music lessons generally scored higher on cognitive development tests.
- In older people, music helps lower depression and decreases loneliness.
- Playing an instrument strengthens eye-hand coordination and fine motor skills.
- Music lessons teach discipline, dedication and enable students to achieve goals.